Monday 4 April 2011

Bolus anyone??

sewer or sweet?: Okay, so just what the heck is a bolus?  What does one do with a bolus?  Can one catch a bolus?  Can one even find a bolus?  Until about a year ago I had never even heard the word bolus.  Then one day my doctor informed me that I had very high blood sugar.  I asked her if she was trying to tell me that I had diabetes.  She said "I'm not trying to tell to tell you, I am telling you.  You do have diabetes".  Well that was that!

So I got my new medicine then I got online.  I read a lot about diabetes & that's when I started seeing the word bolus. It seemed to appear all over the diabetes forums pages.  They would talk about a bolus or having a bolus but I couldn't figure out what a bolus was.  Was I having one if I didn't even recognize it?  I googled  bolus diabetes definition where I saw the words bolus & insulin.  I hadn't been prescribed insulin & I still couldn't grasp the word bolus.  I'm obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.

But then the other day I googled just the word bolus & read the merriam-webster  definition . I got this:  a ball-shaped mass moving through the digestive tract; also the administration of a drug, medication or other substance in the form of a single, large dose.  It suddenly became clearer to me that it meant a blob of food or an injection (ie insulin). Ah ha!! It was not a pustule!!

So do I now understand the people on the forums?  Not really.  Lots of people there still have boluses (or is it boli?? nope, I checked) I can't understand. But I am starting a year later to get the hang of it & still working on the details.

"n...iced"& sweet: A "n...iced" cold  fruity mocha latte made esp for diabetics.
First of all fruits should be frozen (freeze bananas into quarters) & milk very cold.
All the amounts can be suited to your liking ... this is the way I make it.

1 cup very cold milk
1 1/2 TBSP instant coffee
1/2 TBSP cocoa
1 packet splenda (or your favourite artificial sweetener)
1/4 frozen banana
3 large (4 average) frozen strawberries
2 ice cubes (optional)

Put coffee, cocoa & splenda into blender. Add milk then frozen fruit. Pulse a few times then blend.
Ice can be added to the actual beverage or pulsed directly in with the milk.  This makes a large drink either way.

BTW ... I told a friend I was writing about a bolus.  He said "What's that? It sounds like a pustule".  No kidding!!

1 comment:

  1. I though bolus was plural for bowl. Thanks for following and the comment. I have returned the favor. And I, too, and a Type II diabetic and take Metformin, among others, but I don't worry about it. Also an ex-smoker - over 20 years - and loving it. I’ll be back, too.

    ReplyDelete